Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default Date Mail Merge

From the Tools menu in Word, select Options and then go to the General tab
and check the box against the "Confirm conversions at open" item. Then when
you attach the data source to the mail merge main document, you will be
given the option of using the DDE method of connection which should read the
data as you have it formatted in the table.

Hugh Murfitt wrote:
I have 5 date fields in a document, merged from Excel. I am using
the same date switch - { MERGEFIELD DOB_Child_2 \@ "d/M/yyyy" \*
MERGEFORMAT } - for all 5. Two of the date fields merge correctly
but the others are displayed as the Excel date code, e.g. 39128 (for
15/2/2007).

This is reflected in the "Mail Merge Recipients" dialogue. The first
two columns of dates in my list show correctly formatted dates e.g
8/9/1998 and 11/11/2001, but the third, fourth and fifth are 39128,
38225 and 38435

I've checked my source data in Excel and, as far as I can tell, it's
all formatted correctly i.e. it is all displayed as dates, not codes.
So where is the formatting being "lost"? Can I manipulate the Mail
Merge Recipients data?

Many thanks for your help

(This may be an Excel issue. If it is invalid to repost in the Excel
discussion group if I do not find a solution here, please let me
know.)