Merges are not my forte, but I don't think merge fields can be used in the
header/footer (and some other fields don't work anywhere in a merge
document). I think table formatting is one of those things that will have to
be applied after the merge is completed. Your best bet, though, for mail
merge questions, is to post them in the
microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields newsgroup, where the merge experts
hang out.

"Joseph N." wrote in message
On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 23:13:25 GMT, Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:

For a
catalog merge, you create a single table row, with one merge
field in each column.

Works well, thanks, with one problem and two curiosities. The problem is

that merge fields in the header do not seem to work. They are placed and
formulated correclty, unless a special procedure is needed for header-based
fields, but they do not populate correctly. What appears on the final,
merged document are the names of the merge fields. Is there a way to merge
into headers?

One curiosity, which does not really matter, is that SEQ fields do not

incrementally increase, at least not without any switches. LISTNUM seems to
work just fine, though.

The other curiosity is that the available adjustments to table borders

seems restricted. For example, there does not seem to be a way to have each
row lined top and bottom without also having lines between the cells. To
put it another way, the only combination of table and cell borders which
seems to work predictably--I think--is "all."

Any assistance you could give on the header problem would be appreciated.

And any insight on why SEQ doesn't work might be useful in the future.

--
JN

jbn 'won'oh'won'six'won' at fastmail.fm
Remove spaces, and substitute digits for the words between " ' "