Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

Default Removing Header and Footer Sections

You cannot remove the header and footer. They are part of any document and
really useful for different purposes such as holding content to be repeated
on every page (e.g. logo or page number). This is _not_ new in Word 2007.

If you wish, you can try to set the top and bottom margins to 0 (zero).
However, your printer will most likely not be able to print to the edge of
the paper anyway so most likely a message will tell you that the value is not
OK €“ if you click €œFix€ in the message, you find the smallest amount you
printer can handle). A document with text from the very top to the very
bottom would not look very well.

If your problem is that you do not want the header/footer areas to take up
room on the screen in Print Layout view, simply position the cursor on top
edge of a page. Double-click when it looks like a two-headed arrow. This will
collapse the header/footer of all pages (actually, double-clicking this way
toggles the setting Office button Word Options Display category Show
white space between pages in Print Layout view).

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg - Microsoft MVP (Word)

"Gary" wrote:

To clarify, when I click on the top and bottom of each page, a light blue
tab will appear and "Header -Section 1-", "Footer -Section 1-" will be
written in these light blue tabs. Can I just get rid of these header and
footer areas completely as opposed to just not having any text or objects in
them (having the sections blank). Or are Word 2007 documents automatically
formatted to include header and footer sections and the best I can do is
reduce the size of these sections?

It seems to me there would be alot of instances where a person would create
a Word document that did not require headers or footers. So why can't these
sections just be removed from the document, if not required?