Tino

Default Non .doc files

I'm not sure if this is a WORD problem or an XP problem.

I have recently upgraded from NT to XP (service pack 2). I also have WORD97.
When I open a file which doesn't have a .DOC extension with WORD by using
"right click & OPEN" and then choosing WORD it opens the file OK but it
displays a file name of "DOCUMENT 1" and treats the file as if it were a new
file. When I go to save the file it is as if I am saving a new file with the
default directory of "MY DOCUMENTS". With NT I didn't have this problem. Non
..DOC files would be opened with their correct file name and could back in
their original format in their original directory. Is there a fix for this
problem?

regards

Peter