Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Default cross reference changes surrounding text

You have inadvertently inserted manual page breaks inside the bookmarks that
Word uses for cross-references; usually, this happens if you press
Ctrl+Enter at the beginning of a bookmarked paragraph (which causes the
bookmark to expand). To work around the issue, delete the manual page breaks
and add "Page break before" formatting (Format | Paragraph, Line and Page
Breaks tab) instead. Then update the cross-references again.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Pia" wrote in message
Hi,
I have inserted cross references to figures in my Word 2003 document with
no
problems, but when they are updated by Word (when saving or printing) they
change the paragraph they are in. This does not happen when I update them
manually by clicking update reference.
The paragraph containing the cross ref. changes to caption formating, and
an
"invisible" enter is inserted in front of all cross references. The only
way
to delete it is by deleting the cross reference.
I have tried fixing this by inserting all cross references again, but this
only helped temporarily.
I hope you can help me as I have a 200 p document and this is getting
annoying!