Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Default Remove character limit in mail merge fields.

Hi ?B?YmhvZGdl?=,

I have an excel 2003 spreadsheet with a column that has a bunch of text. I am
trying to create a bunch of tables in word, since powerpoint can not do mail
merge, from the excel spreadsheet. Whenever the text length in the column
exceeds 255 characters, it stops processing the mail merge and moves to the
next row in the table. I have seen on microsofts site that it is limited to
255 characters. i was looking for a way to get around that. sorry for the
grumpy post, I thought I was writing microsoft a nasty gram and not a post.

G Your message appeared as a suggestion, but if there is a way to do it, we do
try to help folks get out of a jam. Suggestions appear in the NTTP lists the
same way posts do, all public and everything.

Doug has given you one suggestion, that's mail-merge specific.

There may be other approaches than mail merge. If you can describe why you use
mail merge rather than, say Copy/Paste, that may give me enough to make some
alternative suggestions. One right off the top of my head: are you familiar with
the Insert Database tool on the Database toolbar? It's a lot like setting up a
mail merge, except it gives you a table and no need to execute to a new
document. Try the connection method Doug suggests. If DDE gives you grief, see
if ODBC is any better.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org