Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Default XL Numbering in Word AA, AB, AC, AD

You can use copy and paste to duplicate the fields. Note that you should
only copy the "big" field construct, not the initial SET fields of Peter's
code (where ABC, ABC1, and ABC2 are initialized to zero).

Be sure to update the fields in the correct order, one by one, with F9. At
least that is how I must do it, in order to get it to work in Word 2007.
(Considering how SET fields work, it actually makes some sense, but since
I've never tried this field construct before, I don't know if this is how it
used to work in older versions of Word.)

If you still run into trouble, note that the MOD command in the field code
must use the list separator character, as determined by your operating
system; for English language versions this usually means a comma.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"migpics" wrote in message
Hi Peter.
Okay, I see how the field code works but where does one start entering the
text?

Does this code do the numbering automatically?
It generates an A, which is a good start but I don't end up with anything
except for A's.
Thanks for your help and patience.
Miguel

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

Every single pair of {} has to be the special field code braces you can
enter using ctrl-F9, not just the outer braces.

Yes, it is a bit of a pain doing that - I've put a file with the fields
in
temporarily at

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk/quick/xlnumber.doc

Hope you'll be able to get it.

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"migpics" wrote in message
Hi there.
I'm looking to set up XL numbering in Microsoft Word 2003.
I have been referenced to this site:
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindy...r/MiscFram.htm
and see an example about entering field codes. The problem is that it
doesn't help.

After I enter Ctrl+F9 to enter a field code bracket, I enter the
information
in the quotes.
{ Quote { Set ABC { = { ABC } + 1 } }{ SET ABC2 { IF { ABC } 26 "{ IF
{ =
MOD({ ABC }, 26) } = 1 "{ = { ABC2 } + 1 }" "{ ABC2 }" }" "{
ABC2 }" } }{ SET
ABC1 { IF ABC1 26 "{ = { ABC1 } + 1 }" "1" } }{ If { ABC } 27 "{
ABC1
\*
ALPHABETIC }" "{ ABC2 \* ALPHABETIC }{ ABC1 \* ALPHABETIC }" } }

then I press Alt+F9 and everything goes away.
So after the Field Code disappears, how do I begin numbering my list?
Can anyone help with this? It's very frustrating when there isn't a
completed example with results either that, or I'm just not getting it.
Thanks
Miguel