Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default Line spacing and other anomalies in scanned text

Each to his own

Stefan Blom wrote:
Normally for inter-paragraph spacing you would use 'space after'.

I must be unusual, then, because I tend to use Spacing Before rather
than Spacing After for text that needs paragraph spacing. :-)

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
Normally for inter-paragraph spacing you would use 'space after'.
Space before tends to be use for (say) Headings where they are used
singly and you wish to create extra space between the text and the
heading. http://desktoppub.about.com/cs/types.../a/leading.htm may
help
explain line spacing.

If you wish to start a new line within a paragraph you would press
Shift+Enter

If you display the formatting marks - click the ¶ button - you will
see the difference.

Bert Coules wrote:
Graham, thanks for that.

I've been doing some reading this morning, and I now see what you
and Suzanne mean; I'll do my level best to apply it to the document
in hand.
I can see that pressing Return once to create a paragraph space
could be useful, but what happens when I want to start a new line within
paragraph?
I'm still not entirely clear on this Before and After (or both)
bit. If I type a body of text and want to create a new paragraph,
then I can see that the space I create could be said to be both After
the
para I've just typed, and Before the one I'm about to type - but
it's the same space, isn't it? I'm hazy on how there could be two
separate definitions fro what amounts to the same thing.

If I have line spacing set at 1.5 throughout (for a 12pt font) and
want the paragraph spacing to be 3 lines, what value should I use in
the Before and After boxes? 24pt?

Many thanks to you and Suzanne for your help and your patience.

Bert