Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
christophercbrewster via OfficeKB.com christophercbrewster via OfficeKB.com is offline

Default "Same as previous" loses an item midway thru doc

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Are you sure the field itself is really missing?

I thought I knew the answer to this, but you're right: F9 does show the field.
It's not there if you just try pointing to it, however.

If the field is still there but is not resulting in any text, then it is
almost certain that the style has been inadvertently applied to a blank
line, page break, or the like.

No, it's pointing to the correct style, and it displays correctly in earlier
sections before something changes it. I tried copying and pasting the same
field from a header where it works correctly, and it briefly shows and then
disappears.

... I would guess that the section breaks are necessary for some other
reason, such as chapter openings with a different First Page Header?

Actually the best use for them is to use Go To next or previous section,
which are assigned to keys. But the footer and header definitions don't
change. Maybe that isn't a good enough reason to deal with this problem?

--
Christopher Brewster
Lockheed Martin, Eagan MN