Jay has told you how it can be done, but I'm with Daiya: I think a PDF would
be a much better solution.

"scorber" wrote in message
By ascii i mean ascii file, and the question is, is it possible to create

text file so that the page numbers are text, not part of a header. It is

for
a legal document. Maybe they want an exact copy of the original that is
transferable between widely different systems, like pc's and unix's. I
don't know. But that's not the question. The question is how can it be
done in Word, if at all..

"Jezebel" wrote:

This is for someone who wants an exact duplicate of his document. He

doesn't
want an ASCII that allows shifting page numbers but a kind of

photocopy of
exactly how each page looked after input -- why i don't know. This

question
comes up time to time, especially when involving legal docs.

Still doesn't explain the reference to 'text' in the question. What's

wrong
with a plain Word document that follows the format of the original?

There's no such thing as "an ASCII". It's like asking for a document

that's
"an English".