Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Paul A Paul A is offline

Default Merging Fields

Melody, your response was quite clear, and most helpful, along with the prior
info I was given. I can handle the conv to txt, fix, and re-convert, I am
sure. It is a "big job" sector that I will address very soon, but not this
week; so I will save your contact, with grateful appreciation for all the
help. (first-time user!)
--
Any response appreciated, Paul Archibald

"Melody KirkWagner" wrote:

Paul, there's an easy workaround for this that doesn't involve doing
one at a time. You can convert the table to text, show formatting, use
the find and replace function to remove the character that tells the
table to move to the next column (commonly a tab) between columns 4
and 5, then convert back to a table. It still involves saying yes to
the change in the right places, so there's some labor involved, unless
you have a specific character at the end of the text in all entries of
column 4, but it would be faster.

OR you can pull out those two columns and do the conversion to text,
remove the spacing character, convert them back to a table, and paste
the new column into the original table. There are directions for
converting back and forth he
http://tribeofadmins.com/home/the-wi...ur-excel-table
or he http://tribeofadmins.com/home/the-wi...me-first-lists
It all seems a big fuss, but once you catch on to what you're doing,
it's the work of seconds. Sometimes Word gets contentious about
pasting that column back in - if so, use excel to put the whole table
together and then copy it into Word.

If it doesn't seem clear or you have trouble, email mail me via the
contact link on the site or here, and I'll be happy to help you with
it.