Charles Kenyon

It appears that you are missing the step: Save to template... after you have
modified your styles.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"fiona nelson" wrote in message
Using word 2000 with updates (help about now reads as word 2002? - from my
IT
guys)

I changed computers at work. I then went to change all my styles in Word
reflect my own preferences, closed word, and repopened to find nothing
"stuck". From other threads I read this was becasue normal.dot was not
saving properly so I re-did my styles (know them off by heart now :-)) and
used shift+file/ save all. Again I closed out of word and found that upon
re-opening none of my changes had stuck again. I also noted that I would
expect to get the message "Do you want to save normal.dot?" and this
didn't
appear, and the normal message "word is saving normal.dot" did not appear
in
the task manager pane at the bottom of word.

I eventually figured out how to open Normal.dot directly and make the
changes there, but I was wondering if anyone knows why word is exhibiting
this behaviour? I did not have "Prompt to save normal template" ticked,
but
I thought that shift+file /save all would over ride that anyway?

Any help would be appreciated as I don't want to have to open Normal.dot
every time I decide to change something.

Thanks,

Fiona Nelson