Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Complex Appendices: Formatting Page Numbers & TOC

Although you can simply type in extra numbers next to the page number in the
header or footer, those numbers won't be reflected in the TOC, as you have
noticed.

In Word, your options for creating chapter/page numbering are limited to
what is explained in the following article:
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/numbering/chapternumber.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Sue" wrote in message
I have a large document with 15 sections. Each section has it's own TOC
with
Roman numeral page #s (1-i, 1-ii, 1-iii, etc.) and body of text with
Arabic
numeral page #s (1-1, 1-2, 1-3, etc.). No problem there.

I am being asked to add special page #s to appendices for each section
(1-A-1, 1-A-2, 1-A-3...) and some appendices have sub-sections (1-C1-1,
1-C1-2, 1-C1-3; 1-C2-1, 1-C2-2, 1-C2-3...). This is causing me problems:
1. I can't seem to format my appendix pagination to automate it in any way
for my appendices.
2. I keep having to deselect Link to Previous in my footers and manually
type in all page numbers for my appendices to make them look correct.
3. When I finally get my page numbers to look correct for a section, the
TOC
for that section does not show the correct page #s for the appendices. The
closest it ever gets reflects A-1, B-1, C-1 (should read 1-A-1, 1-B-1,
1-C-1)
and shows my appended subsections as D-1, E-1, F-1. (should read 1-C1-1,
1-C2-1, 1-C3-1.)

I've already walked through several MS tutorials, but only got partial
answers. The most helpful and pertinent to my situation:
Add an appendix to your document
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/wo...CL100636481033

If anyone can help me out with this I would be most grateful!!

--
Sue

PS - If it helps to know, my working files are separate files for each
whole
section so that I have 15 separate files each with TOC, body of text and
funky appendices (as opposed to one mammoth messy doc containing
everything).
I have separate files for the cover, title page, section TOC (reflecting
only
section numbers), etc.