Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
anon k

Default PDF File Conversion?

John Gregory wrote:
I have a 150 page pdf file of instructions I plan to use as a guide for
self-directed instruction on using a very busy program; Fidelity's Active
Trader Pro. I'd like to be able to convert the thing to a Word 2003 document

Can someone please give me some advice on how to make this conversion to
Word, what outside software I should be looking at if necessary, and any
other way of getting that pdf file into a more manageable form. Something
that would allow comments to be made right on the file as I read it would
also be of possible help.

If there's no access to the original document, I'd use for Ghostscript
to extract the text and any illustrations, and format the output into a
brand-new Word document that you'd thereafter use as the working file.

One reason why I'd take this approach is that converters from pdf to
Word, rtf or whatever can be fickle if there is a lot of formatting to
negotiate. It is often faster to do all of that yourself than to hunt
out and try out a dozen or more conversion programs before you find one
that you like, only to find that it did something odd. Ghostscript is
at least fairly predictable.

The biggest downside that I see is that Ghostscript works best from the
command line. Not all users like that.