Could some of the footnotes have become (or been entered as) endnotes?

"Iceman" wrote in message
Hello, group!
Again I must call for your assistance.

I'm working in a large (231 pp) Word document, which I have divided into

110
sections. There are many footnotes, and I prefer to restart numbering on
each page.

All of a sudden the numbering has been changed to continual numbering
(1-XXX), and moreover, some of the footnotes are missing from view in Page
Layout. They are still there -- I can see that by clicking on the footnote
reference number -- but they don't appear.

How can I change back the numbering to 'restart numbering' and how can I

get
the notes back into view?