Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stephen Glynn

Default Border settings for A4

Graham Mayor wrote:
Word gets the margin limits from the printer driver.

I'm sorry, but it doesn't appear to, at least on my machine.

As an experiment, I've just downloaded and installed the latest driver
for my printer from the manufacturer's website (it's an Epson C44) and
then tried setting all the margins on a blank document to zero and
seeing what both Word and Open Office's Writer suggest.

Epson say that the minimum margins are 3.00 mm on all edges except the
bottom, which is 12.50 mm. Writer gives me 3.00 mm on all edges except
the bottom, where it proposes 13.10 mm, which is pretty close. Word
says 5.90 mm top and left, 61mm at the bottom and 62mm on the right.
It's not a big deal, since I'd never normally need margins that small,
but I'm just puzzled by how Word's calculating them.

Steve