Carol R.

Thanks. Yes, this is an upgrade. I don't know how to point it at anything.
The manual said to uninstall the old version before doing anything else,
which sounded stupid, but obediently uninstalled. But the product key didn't
work. Another user suggested the old version had to be on my system for the
new one to find its place in my universe, so I reinstalled Word 98. The key
still doesn't work.

Thanks so much for the tip re. the Mac group. That will come in very handy,
if not now then in the future surely. I'll check their archives just in case.