Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Tom Tom is offline

Default Use DocVariable field to initiative numbering?

I would like to better understand the DOCPROPERTY and DOCVARIABLE
fields.

You gave the following examples:

{ SEQ Figure \r{ DOCVARIABLE myvariable } \h }

(depending on what you are doing it might be better to put your
starting
number in a Document Property and use the following instead:

{ SEQ Figure \r{ DOCPROPERTY myproperty } \h }
)

I'm just not sure how to implement this. I assume "myvariable" and
"myproperty" are unique words I define. But where are they stored? How
do I define them? What exactly do they do? I'm still in the dark here.

Also, I realized the figure captions find-and-replace method only
solves part of the problem. In our HTML document, we have phrases like
this: "See Figure 1" and then below the figure we write "Figure 1."
When I did the find and replace method, it did sequentially number the
figures, but how would I implement the "See Figure 1" part? That seems
impossible.