Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Tom Tom is offline

Default Use DocVariable field to initiative numbering?

Peter,

Thanks for the explanations about the differences between DocVariables
and DocProperties. That does make it a little clearer. You asked,

However, how to maintain these references depends on what you're
doing - you mention "your HTML document". Are you starting with that and
trying to create a Word document from it, or what?

To view an HTML document similar to the ones I create, open up Internet
Explorer 6.0 and go to Help Contents and Index. What loads is an Web
Help application of some kind. RoboHelp essentially creates the same
online help tool.

RoboHelp also exports all of these topics to Microsoft Word. Where
RoboHelp falls short is in converting links to cross references. It
just doesn't seem to do it, and I'm not sure of any workaround. That's
why I was thinking that maybe if I stored some kind of variable in the
HTML, I could convert it into a unique cross reference in Word. But
that doesn't really seem probable, right?