Jay Freedman

Again, answers in-line...

gman wrote:
Hi,

Yes, you're right, which is what I was doing in Notepad. either way,
I still have to do another save regardless of how I do it. Do you
know why one cannot save as .html in the Save As menu and have it
work properly? When I do it that way all I get when I open the file
for preview in the brower is just the text of the code, not the photo
which should appear.

Without being able to watch exactly what you're doing, I'll guess from the
description earlier in the thread that you're typing the HTML codes into the
Word document exactly as you'd expect to see them in Notepad, but using
merge fields in the places where file names belong. When you use Word's File
Save As to convert this to an .html file, Word is trying to preserve *what

you see on the screen*. To do that, it's converting each bracket to the
HTML code < and each bracket to > . All the other HTML special
characters are being similarly translated. The result is an HTML file that
displays what *looks like* (but isn't really) HTML code.

I don't know what else you can do other than what you're doing now -- saving
as .txt and changing the extension (and I'll repeat that you don't need
Notepad, just use Windows Explorer's rename command to change the
extension). I'm sure some HTML editor -- maybe FrontPage -- can do merges;
but I don't maintain any web sites so I've never looked into it.

The /n switch did stop a blank document from opening when I started
Word, but when I then open a new blank document it opens in that
window that started. I would like the first document to open in its
own window as do the second, third, fourth, etc. documents. Is there
any way to do this?

No. That's just the way Word works.

Also, when Windows Explorer is open (and open to a particular file,
let's say My Pictures) and it is partially behind another window, if
you click on the Windows Explorer window in the right panel, for
example, to bring it forward, the file that is open to show its
contents will change unless you click exactly on it / its icon or
horizonally to it in either direction. If you click next to a
different file (and not even on the file's icon / name itself) in
either hrizontal direction, that file opens to reveal its content, so
you have to go back and select the file that was originally open and
showing its contents. One should have to click directly on a file
name / icon or on the +/- to have the file reveal its contents and
not have this happen by clicking anywhere in the horizonal direction
to that file.

Sorry, I don't have any idea what you're talking about here. In any case, it
isn't a problem with Word.

Here is another situation: My browser window is fully open. I open
a Word document. I click anywhere in the browser window or on a
feature and Word automatically minimizes itself. I have AOL, BTW.
Is there anyway to stop this automatic minimizing from happening? If
one clicks on the desktop, it doesn't minimize, so it has to do with
the browser.

Again, I don't have AOL -- wouldn't touch it if you paid me -- so you'll
have to ask somebody else.

gman

Freedman" wrote:

I think you should be able to save from Word as a .txt file and then
just change the file's extension to .htm or .html. You don't need
Notepad to do that.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman