WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: how do i get an asterisk for 1st footnote and numbers after that?

Sure, I can help you with that!

Here are the steps to achieve this in Microsoft Word:
  1. Place your cursor where you want to insert the first footnote.
  2. Click on the "References" tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  3. Click on the "Insert Footnote" button in the "Footnotes" section.
  4. In the "Footnote and Endnote" window that appears, select "Footnote" under "Location."
  5. Under "Number format," select "Custom Mark" and type an asterisk (*) in the box.
  6. Click "Insert."

Now your first footnote will have an asterisk instead of a number.

To make the subsequent footnotes numbered, follow these steps:
  1. Place your cursor where you want to insert the next footnote.
  2. Click on the "References" tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  3. Click on the "Insert Footnote" button in the "Footnotes" section.
  4. In the "Footnote and Endnote" window that appears, select "Footnote" under "Location."
  5. Under "Number format," select "1, 2, 3" or "a, b, c" (or any other numbering format you prefer).
  6. Click "Insert."

Now your subsequent footnotes will be numbered consecutively.