Gene Goldenfeld

Graham Mayor wrote:

See http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm
Are you sure the Winfax add-in is not present? See tools templates and
add-ins.
You don't need the add-in to send faxes - see
http://www.gmayor.com/fax_from_word.htm - and it can cause all kinds of
problems.

Word isn't crashing (yet). It is running normally since installing WFP,
except that on closing each time it erroneously prompts to change/save
Normal.dot. I'm aware the WFP is unncessary to run from inside Word and
that's the way I had it before this reinstallation because it was
crashing back then (that was before XP/SP2 and WFP's XP version, if
that's relevant). If crashing is going to be a problem, I haven't
gotten there yet (read on - carefully).

The Startup folder I'm referring to, per Suzanne Barnhill's website, is
the one found via ToolsOptionsFiles and LocationsStartup. Mine is
D:\Documents and Settings\...\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP (D:\ is my main hd)
and that's where I currently find only WordToys.dot and its temp file.
However, when I look at ToolsTemplates and Add-ins, WFWORD2K.DOT is
there, but the Full Path statement at the bottom of the box is pointing
to the storage drive, C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Office\Startup, where a
1999 version of WFWORD2K.DOT is located (pre-D drive installation).
This is confusing because clicking on Attach or Add in that Templates
box takes me to the Templates folder in D: drive! The just-installed
version of WFWORD2K.DOT is also located on D:\, in the \Office\Startup
folder. So where is this C: Path statement coming from? Is the
operative question then how to get ToosTemplates... to point at the D:
version. Also is ...\Office\Startup where it should be? If you are
thinking of changes in ToolsOptionsFiles and Locations, note that
everything there is pointing to D:\ drive locations (i.e., no C's).

Thanks,
Gene

Gene Goldenfeld wrote:
During the reinstallation of WinFax Pro 10.02, I get an error message
about the printer spooler needing to be turned off. After doing that,
the installation completed (I also downloaded the macro linked at
Suzanne's MVP site and that installed). Before the installation step,
Word showed an error message on opening, which I think was "Compile
Error in Hidden Module." After completing the install that went away.
Now, every time I close Word there is a prompt to save Normal.dot,
even though there haven't been any changes. Looking in the Word
Startup folder, the only files are WordToys.dot and its temp file.
Where do I go from here to solve the Normal.dot problem? I'm using
XP/SP2. Thanks.

Gene