Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
gr8auntieokie gr8auntieokie is offline

Default Word 2007 Paragraph numbering/restart numbering; Legal doc

Sam, one way to get around the "restart numbering" issue is to use a heading
style (or numbered paragraph style, which is what we use in our office) in
your document that is NOT numbered. For instance, Level 1 of your document
might be a text paragraph that is NOT numbered, where you want numbered
paragraphs starting with 1 to follow the UN-numbered paragraph.

Set up your numbering with Level 1 being the UN-numbered paragraph (i.e.,
select "none" under "Number style for this level" and select "Nothing" under
"Follow number with") and Level 2 to be the numbered paragraphs that follow,
where the Level 2 paragraphs will start over with 1 after any Level 1
paragraph.

As for the paragraphs reverting to hanging instead of first line indented,
are you using the Format Painter to copy number formatting from one paragraph
to another? It's my experience that the Format Painter is about the finest
tool Word ever created, but when you use it to paint formatting from one
numbered paragraph to another, the paragraph that you copied FROM tends to
revert to Word's default formatting.... in your case, perhaps, the hanging
paragraph format. If that's the case with your documents, you might do better
to set up UN-numbered paragraphs (as explained above) whenever you want to
"restart" numbering in paragraphs that follow basic text paragraphs.

Cyndie Browning
Tulsa, OK

"Sam" wrote:

I thought I understood paragraph numbering, but W2007 is vexing me. Here is
what I want:
-numbered paragraphs that automatically number the next paragraph
-to restart the numbering several times in the document
-paragraphs to be first-line indented, not hanging

I knew how to do it in prior Word, but W2007 reverts to hanging paragraphs
when I try to do Restart Numbering, and then won't restart the numbering
anyway. It is driving me crazy. I cannot get it to restart numbering. I tried
applying List 2, I tried creating a new style, but none of it seems to work.
What do I have to do?