Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sam Sam is offline

Default Word 2007 Paragraph numbering/restart numbering; Legal doc

Dawn,
That actually helps me with another project, but not the one I am interested
in now.l I did not make this clear, but what I want is several lists of
exactly the same format restarting through the document. This pattern is used
in legal filings such as complaints, orders, petitions, etc. The example
would be:

Now come Defendant saying:
First Motion
1. Blah blah blah l;akdl;akl;dal; l;a l;ajk ak l;ak ajk l;k l;ak l;a
jl;ajkla; jl;k jkl; a a ;kal;jk alj .
2. Blah also.
In further defense, Defendant says:
1. blah blah blah l;akd l;l;k ;kl; ;l; al;ak l;al;fjkl aa l; l;akl;ajk
fljalfjk l;a fl;ajkf ajkl;j al; al;jklj;al;k jdl;ak l;fakj lakj, as follows:
(a) Ain't no way;
(b) Really, there ain't no way.
2. blah blah very blah.
Wherefore, Defendant prays the Court as follows:
1. Make him leave me alone;
2. Make him give me my bicycle back;
3. Do anything else you think would be really fun.

I created a new style called Legal Para Num by trying to modify a current
style. However, when I change from hanging to first line indent, if often
changes it back. That always happens when I choose a numbering style, which
all seem to show block indented paragraphs, which is not what I want. So then
I go change the paragraph back to first line indent. But then the numbering
won't restart. When I click on Restart Numbering, it sets the paragraph style
back to a block indented form, and doesn't restart the numbering either.

Arrrrgghhh. I know there must be something about styles I am missing, but
trying to get this to work is not intuitive. It took me a while to figure
this stuff out in W2003, but I got it. But I cannot find the ways to change
it in W2007.
Sam