Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dawn Crosier, Word MVP Dawn Crosier, Word MVP is offline

Default Word 2007 Paragraph numbering/restart numbering; Legal doc

Sam -

gr8auntieoakie had it right in telling you to setup a numbering style
without a number - this is the style you would use for your First Motion
text - or the text immediately before your numbering start.

To setup the Numbering (follow my directions earlier - except for the First
level - setup your dialog box like:

Enter formatting for number - make sure it is blank.
Number style for this level - (none)
Number alignment - Left.
Aligned at: We use .5" most frequently although there is one attorney in our
firm who prefers .4"
Text Indent at: 0" if you want the text on the second line to be at the
margin.
Follow number with: Nothing

Make sure you have Link level to Style - whatever style you are going to use
for your First Motion Text *Do Not Use* Normal here.

Then at level two setup your style for your 1, 2, 3, etc.
At level three you would setup your style for an a, b, c, etc which would be
under your 1, 2, 3.

That way you have:

First Motion - StyleLevel1 - not numbered
1. blah blah blah - StyleLevel2 - 1, 2, 3
a. more blah - StyleLevel3 - a, b, c
2. blah blah blah - StyleLevel2
SecondMotion - or further text
1. blah blah blah - StyleLevel2

Hopefully you get the idea.

Also, once you get it working, save your Style Set for this kind of document
so you can pull it out when you have to do these kinds of documents again.
Then you can have a separate Style Set for an Appeal Brief, etc.

As for block, hanging, first line indents - you have to be consistent when
you setup the styles and make them match the numbering styles. So if your
FirstMotion text is supposed to be a First Line Indent with the second line
back at the margin, make sure you also have the numbering set that way.

Sometimes it's easiest to setup the paragraph - after you have applied the
style and then update the style to match what you have on your screen.
(Right click the style and select "update [stylename] to match selection".)

--
Dawn Crosier
Microsoft MVP

This message was posted to a newsgroup, Please post replies and questions
to the group so that others can learn as well.
"Sam" wrote in message
Dawn,
That actually helps me with another project, but not the one I am interested
in now.l I did not make this clear, but what I want is several lists of
exactly the same format restarting through the document. This pattern is
used
in legal filings such as complaints, orders, petitions, etc. The example
would be:

Now come Defendant saying:
First Motion
1. Blah blah blah l;akdl;akl;dal; l;a l;ajk ak l;ak ajk l;k l;ak l;a
jl;ajkla; jl;k jkl; a a ;kal;jk alj .
2. Blah also.
In further defense, Defendant says:
1. blah blah blah l;akd l;l;k ;kl; ;l; al;ak l;al;fjkl aa l; l;akl;ajk
fljalfjk l;a fl;ajkf ajkl;j al; al;jklj;al;k jdl;ak l;fakj lakj, as follows:
(a) Ain't no way;
(b) Really, there ain't no way.
2. blah blah very blah.
Wherefore, Defendant prays the Court as follows:
1. Make him leave me alone;
2. Make him give me my bicycle back;
3. Do anything else you think would be really fun.

I created a new style called Legal Para Num by trying to modify a current
style. However, when I change from hanging to first line indent, if often
changes it back. That always happens when I choose a numbering style, which
all seem to show block indented paragraphs, which is not what I want. So
then
I go change the paragraph back to first line indent. But then the numbering
won't restart. When I click on Restart Numbering, it sets the paragraph
style
back to a block indented form, and doesn't restart the numbering either.

Arrrrgghhh. I know there must be something about styles I am missing, but
trying to get this to work is not intuitive. It took me a while to figure
this stuff out in W2003, but I got it. But I cannot find the ways to change
it in W2007.
Sam