Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

Default Word 2007 Paragraph numbering/restart numbering; Legal doc

You'll need to modify the list as Dawn noted, BUT you don't want to keep
using the Define New Multilevel List command to make your modifications. You
aren't modifying the list - you are adding new lists, or List Templates, to
your document. Instead, use the Define New List Style command. It's
essentially the same but since you are using a Style you are providing a
name for the custom Multilevel list and providing a means to modify the
Multilevel list (and easily shared with other documents) instead of
continuing to create new List Templates which can cause problems down the
road. One scenario is an incorrect List might be used inadvertently, along
with the "correct" list, and you'll soon be back in the newsgroups asking
why your list numbering is all messed up. ;-)

If you are creating a template then you may want to create a new template
and define a new List Style. That way the old Lists won't be included in the
template and used inadvertently .

Also, to modify a List style, right-click the thumbnail in the gallery and
then click Modify.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Coauthor of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"That70sHeidi" wrote in message
Firstly, Dawn, thank you thank you!! for pointing out the multilevel list
command! It's what I've been searching for in 2007 and not finding.

However, I've run into a problem using it.

I've set up my styles for the proper indents, caps, etc. I added the
multilevel numbering, then "update the style to current selection" to add
the
numbering into the style. Which is awesome. However, I noticed my
numbering
isn't set up right.

I need to create my document so that the last number in the sequence
updates
for each section, until I go back to the previously defined style. It
should
look as such:

PART 1 - GENERAL (I've defined this as a blank 'restart' style and it
works!!!!)
1.1 TITLE
1.1.1 Subsection Title
1.1.1.1 Subsection Text
Texty text sometimes in here, not numbered.
1.1.1.2 Subsection Text
1.1.1.3 Subsection Text
1.1.1.3.1 Super Subsection Text
1.1.1.3.2 Super Subsection Text
1.1.1.4 Subsection Text
1.1.2 Subsection Title
PART 2 - PRODUCTS
2.1 TITLE
2.1.1 Subsection Title
2.2 TITLE
2.3 TITLE

I can't seem to get the multilevel list to do that. I added a plain number
to the end of the "grayed out" "Enter formatting for number" box which
apparently means that number never changes - 1.2.1 becomes 1.2.2.1 on the
next level (should be 1.2.1.1). I tried to copy/paste the gray number but
that doesn't work.

This all worked more or less just fine in the last version of Word, but
now
I can't seem to find the old way of doing it, if it still exists, and all
the
MVP help documents say it's the wrong way anyway. Help is appreciated,
this
is a frequently used template here at work, and to be able to set it up
for
2007 as a template that WORKS would be amazing.

Thanks!

"Dawn Crosier, Word MVP" wrote:

Here's what works for me....

I then click the down arrow next to the multilevel list command in the
Paragraph Group and select "Define New Multilevel List" (You will also
use
this same command to make changes to the list.)

In the Define new Multilevel list dialog box, click the More button so
you
can use the Link level to style. Be sure to modify your number positions
so
that they do not conflict with what you defined in the paragraph dialog
of
your style.

Click OK.

Now, when you apply the FirstLevel style to your paragraph it should
start
off with 1. When you apply the SecondLevel style it should start with an
and continue with B, etc. When mark another paragraph with FirstLevel
then
it should be a 2 and SecondLevel should start over with an A. (See below)

1. FirstLevel
A. SecondLevel
B. SecondLevel
2. FirstLevel
A. SecondLevel
i. ThirdLevel
ii. ThirdLevel
B. SecondLevel
3. FirstLevel

--
Dawn Crosier
Microsoft MVP

This message was posted to a newsgroup, Please post replies and
questions
to the group so that others can learn as well.
"Sam" wrote in message
I thought I understood paragraph numbering, but W2007 is vexing me. Here
is
what I want:
-numbered paragraphs that automatically number the next paragraph
-to restart the numbering several times in the document
-paragraphs to be first-line indented, not hanging

I knew how to do it in prior Word, but W2007 reverts to hanging
paragraphs
when I try to do Restart Numbering, and then won't restart the numbering
anyway. It is driving me crazy. I cannot get it to restart numbering. I
tried
applying List 2, I tried creating a new style, but none of it seems to
work.
What do I have to do?