Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Default How to lock background?

Kirsten wrote:
Hi,

Can someone help a desperate swede? =) I need to know how I can lock
the picture (gif-format) that I have inserted into a Word document?
I´m making the companys stationary paper and I would like this
picture - used as background, to be locked, so no one can delete it.
When it´s locked, it would be able to wright ordinary text in the
document or do I always need to use the Text box?

Can some one help me? Thank you!

There is a feature (Format Background Printed Watermark Picture
Watermark) that may do what you want, but it seems that many printer drivers
are unable to handle it properly and print many small copies of the picture
instead of one large copy. It's often better to use a different approach.

Insert the picture while the cursor is in the header pane. Format its text
wrapping as "Behind Text". It will then appear on every page, and you won't
need a text box or anything else in order to type ordinary text.

The theory and detailed steps for this are discussed in
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/AnchorToHeader.htm.

There are variations; for example, if you want the picture to appear only on
the first page, you can set up the document layout for "Different first
page" and insert the picture in the first-page header.

Note that this does not make it so that "no one can delete it" -- it merely
makes it easy to create and edit ordinary text without the chance of
accidentally deleting the background picture. To select the picture in order
to delete it, you have to open the header pane first, which is not something
that happens without deliberate action.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman