Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Margaret Howells

Default Footnotes function in Word2003 not working what do I do?

Stefan, thank you. Saving the original document into normal.dot allowed me
to insert the footnotes. Thank you very much you have save my life!!!!

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

First test if a new blank document allows you to insert footnotes. If
it does, you know that the problem is with your specific document.

Then try the following: Display formatting marks. To do this, click
the ¶ button on the Standard toolbar. Paragraph marks will display as
¶ symbols. Now, copy the entire document, except for the final
paragraph mark, and paste it into your newly created document. Save
it. Inserting footnotes should work correctly again.

Note: If you cannot create footnotes (without the error message) from
a blank document, you need to rename normal.dot and have Word create a
new, fresh copy for you.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Margaret Howells" wrote in message
I am trying to insert footnote reference in a word document and keep

getting
the message Start At must be between 1 and 16383 for this format.

In the
Insert, Reference box I have inserted footnote, bottom of page,

start at 1 -
why is this not working, what am I doing wrong?