Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Default Footnotes function in Word2003 not working what do I do?

Glad I could help, and thank you for the feedback.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"micropood" wrote in message
Thank you, Stefan! I had a problem with footnotes, too: I would

insert a
new footnote, and, in the footnote pane of the window, the new

footnote
number would appear in the middle of an old footnote. Stefan's

suggestion to
rename normal.dot did the trick. Thanks!

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

First test if a new blank document allows you to insert footnotes.

If
it does, you know that the problem is with your specific document.

Then try the following: Display formatting marks. To do this,

click
the ¶ button on the Standard toolbar. Paragraph marks will display

as
¶ symbols. Now, copy the entire document, except for the final
paragraph mark, and paste it into your newly created document.

Save
it. Inserting footnotes should work correctly again.

Note: If you cannot create footnotes (without the error message)

from
a blank document, you need to rename normal.dot and have Word

create a
new, fresh copy for you.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Margaret Howells" wrote in message
I am trying to insert footnote reference in a word document and

keep
getting
the message Start At must be between 1 and 16383 for this

format.
In the
Insert, Reference box I have inserted footnote, bottom of page,

start at 1 -
why is this not working, what am I doing wrong?