Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default How to put caption on the side of the equation?

It's an extension of the idea in
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/CombineXrefs.htm: you can reassign the
bookmarks that Word creates to be around just the text you want included.

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
Using a hidden SEQ field is a clever idea, but, apparently, Word
doesn't "see" hidden SEQ fields for cross-reference purposes.

I'm not 100% sure what work-around Suzanne had in mind (that doesn't
include tables), but here's one: you can manually add a bookmark
around the correct piece of text and then cross-reference the text of
that bookmark.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"lanmat" wrote in message

Suzanne S. Barnhill;7144163 Wrote:
A table is helpful because if you put the equation and caption in

the
same
paragraph, then, by default, any cross-reference to the equation
caption
quotes the entire equation as well (though this can be worked

around
as
well).

..Any further explanations on this? I'd love to be able to cross
reference my equations without using a table.

I thought of manually making a hidden field right before the left

paren
and then using the \c (repeat last) flag inside the paren, like

this:

{ SEQ Eqn \h}({ SEQ Eqn \c })

then selecting "only caption text" when inserting a cross-reference,
but it didn't work. Nothing showed up under the "Eqn" list of

available
references. I'm guessing this is because the field is hidden?

Anyways, I'd love some advice on how to do this without tables.

--
lanmat