Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Default TOC \b - Can I use only Heading 1 as source?

On Tue, 7 Oct 2008 16:55:01 -0700, pilates_jocelyn
wrote:

I have a long manual that has a main TOC and separate TOC's for each section
using Word 2003. Last time I was editing it, I was able to insert the
sectionTOC's and used only Heading 1 as the source from each bookmarked
section. Now, I'm trying to update one of the section TOC's and I can't get
it to use only Heading 1; it includes Headings 2 and 3 as well. If it do
Insert - Field - and chose the TOC field, I can either add the switch -
which I need - or format the field to only pull from Heading 1, but not both.
I know it can be done, because I have it set this way in three other places
in the document, but I can't seem to make it work today. Help, anyone?

Thanks in advance!

These things are controlled by separate switches within the TOC field code. The
\b switch restricts the table to the area covered by a bookmark, and the \o
switch determines what levels to use.

Look at the samples in the "Partial table of contents" section of
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Format...OCSwitches.htm. You want something
like

{TOC \b Chapter1 \o "1"}

--