Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Default 0 in Zip code field

See "Formatting Word fields with switches" on fellow MVP Graham Mayor's
website at

Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Ed" wrote in message

I have addresses in an Excel file, with a Zip code column. When I identify
the Zip code
element in the Mailmerge Address block with this column some of the zip
codes get
converted to 0 in the labels. I discovered that some of these records were
marked
with the "little green corner" when Number as Text error checking was on.
Some
had a leading apostrophe, which I deleted, and they no longer came out as
0 in the
labels. Others had no apostrophe, so I did the "convert to number"
operation
on the (!) select list for the cell. However, these are still converted
to 0 by MailMerge.
I've tried everything I can think of... retyping the zip code, Cell
formatting to text,
etc. etc. Nothing will get MailMerge to convert these stubborn cells to
other than
0.

So, what's going on here? IOW, what does MailMerge want from me in the Zip
field?
What am I missing?

TIA

Ed