Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
RobertVA RobertVA is offline

Default half sheet planner pages

MouseMvr92242 wrote:
I figured out that I can use a "Booklet" format to create my pages for a
special planner (Day-timers "Desk" size), but can you tell me how to adjust
the margins to allow for the holes for the 3-ring or 7-ring binder?

I am creating a "Control Journal" a la "Fly Lady" that will be housed in my
day planner binder. I use paper provided by Day-timers that is pre-punched
and pre-perfed. What I cannot figure out is how to allow enough space at the
side where the ring holes will be located. When the paper is placed into the
printer, the sheet feeds with the holes going through last, meaning that the
page prints, the holes, feed, the next page prints and then its holes feed,
then the next sheet is fed to the printer.

I was able to do this so much more easily using an old Print Shop product,
but that program will not run under Windows XP.

Note that functions vary from one version of Word to another. It may
facilitate a detailed reply if you inquiry indicates what version of
Word you are using.

IF you are printing on ONLY one side of the blank pages this would just
be a matter of printing two columns on the page and adjusting the gutter
(blank area down the center) to avoid the areas where the holes are. Set
the page margin to keep text away from the holes adjacent to the edge of
the sheet.

Printing both sides might be a bit more complicated. With earlier
versions of Word you would have to print alternate pages (1,3,5, etc)
for the document, return those pages to the supply tray and then print
the remaining alternate pages (2,4,6,etc). You may need to flip the
sheets over, rotate the pages end for end or change the print order
(8,6,4, etc). Look for these settings in the print dialog that appears
when you print FROM THE FILE MENU. The flip, rotate or page order
requirements depend on how your printer deposits pages in the output
tray (face up or down, top or bottom of landscape mode pages on right or
left). You would also need to use mirror margins since the holes would
be on the opposite side on the back (page, holes, page, holes THEN next
sheet). Since you're using the page margin to keep text clear of the
holes adjacent to the edge, the mirror margins would automatically shift
the center gutter to match the inner hole position.