Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
BrownBullhead BrownBullhead is offline

Default What is the file Win386.swp?

On Thu, 6 Jul 2006 22:32:56 -0500, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
wrote:

I think that's your swap file, and you definitely need it.

With all due respect to Suzanne, I don't agree with her statement
above.

IF... you are running with at least 1024 MB RAM, you can generally run
without a "swap" file (a.k.a. Page File) and encounter "FEW" (not
zero) "Virtual Memory Errors". However, if you use a lot of memory
intensive applications concurrently, you will risk loss of data when a
"Virtual Memory Error" occurs.

If you would like try try running without a page file, you can right
click on My Computer, go under "Advanced", click on "Performance",
"Virtual Memory" - Click CHANGE, and set to "NO PAGING FILE" on C:.
Click "SET", then APPLY & OK.

WARNING: I would say don't even try it if running less than 1024 MB
RAM.