Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
pgarcia pgarcia is offline

Default (PRIVATE) AND OTHER SYMBOLS SHOWING ON WORD DOCUMENTS

Did you ever get the problem solved?

"Barry" wrote:

The show/hide marks let me add them, then remove them. But it didn't remove
the words (PRIVATE) and all of the other symbols. It is mainly on headings
and subsections titles of the documents. It also looks like it is added
permanently to text, even though it doesn't print when I print the document.
It is so odd; it's almost like a virus made the field codes appear and
translate, but won't allow me to automatically delete them. I started to
remove the additional text itself, and it allowed me to do that. I was just
hoping there was an easier way than having to go through the entire
document(s).

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Those particular fields probably can't be toggled with Alt+F9, as they're
Hidden text, toggled with the Show/Hide ΒΆ button.

"Jay Freedman" wrote in message
You're seeing field codes. Press Alt+F9 to turn them off.

--
Jay Freedman

"Barry" wrote:

For the first time ever, when I open some documents, I see on the screen
(PRIVATE) around some words and other symbols (tc \1), that don't print.

It
doesn't happen when I open some documents, but a few that haven't been

opened
in 3 years will have this annoying formatting information, or whatever

it is.
I played around with some formatting options, but nothing seems to get

rid
of it.