Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

Default 'Trusted Templates'?

The Templates folder is there by default now. :-)

I do agree, the default to the User Templates folder was convenient, but I
also agree that it was very inconvenient for the run-of-the-mill user who
didn't know how to find their template again.

I went round after round on this and I'm trying to recall the other reasons
for making this change but this is the only one that stands out. I think
another reason had to do with the fact that not all users save their
templates in the User Templates folder, others use SharePoint and Workgroup
template locations.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Coauthor of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
I already have my Templates folder on the Places Bar (Word 2003), and for
me
that's handy, but for the run-of-the-mill user, it was a great convenience
to have Word default to the designated user templates folder when *.dot
was
selected as the file type.

"Beth Melton" wrote in message
Been there, filed that, supplied compelling arguments (to more than one
softie), nada. This one is indeed "By design". They deliberately changed

the
behavior.

I actually kinda like the new method now. It's a very handy way to access
your User Templates and other files in your profile.

"Jay Freedman" wrote in message
Sure, add it to the list.

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 08:49:11 -0500, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
wrote:

I'd call that a bug, too. Should we escalate this and get it fixed for

the
next version?

"Jay Freedman" wrote in message
. ..
I'm also bemused that Word 2007's Save As, unlike every earlier
version of Word, doesn't automatically switch the current folder to
the Templates location when you go to save a template; it leaves you
in the My Documents folder or whatever other folder was last used.
I'd
consider that a bug.