Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Default Problem with inserting caption Word 2007

Note that if you remove the SEQ fields, you won't be able to build a table
of figures based on the chosen caption label (because the TOC field actually
looks for the SEQ fields), but you can work around this by building the TOF
on a particular style instead.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Because the caption feature is intended to make it easy to apply
sequential
numbered captions for figures and tables. The "label" is "Figure 1" or
"Table 1" or a custom label such as "Exhibit 1." What you type after the
label is the caption itself. If you don't need the captions labeled and
numbered then you can still apply the Caption paragraph style, which will
allow the captions to be picked up by a Table of Figures or List of
Illustrations or whatever.

Note, however, that the word "caption" has a number of meanings, differing
in various contexts; the one you may be most familiar with is newspaper
photos, but they are actually called "cutlines" in the trade (because the
halftone photos, when they were actually sort of engravings mounted on
wooden blocks inserted in blocks of hot type, were "cuts").

so
all may benefit.

"Gordon" wrote in message
"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
A caption is just a text (your caption text) with a seq field added (the
number). Once inserted it can be edited in the document just like any

other
text. Select the number (the seq field) and delete it.

Thank you. For some unknown reason, this morning, I couldn't delete it.

Now
I can.
However I've decided to forget Captions, as whenever I add one ( I have 5
pictures on the page with a lot of gap between each), it moves the

pictures
about in such a way that I can't seem to drag them back again to where

they
were. Text boxes don't do that.

I still don't understand why MS should ASSUME that users want numbers in
their captions automatically in the first place...