Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

Default No longer able to print labels using Works 4

There's a Works group called microsoft.public.works.win

Here, I'm using a copy of Works Suite 2004 (which I don't know very well, so
bear with me). This is what I do - if you can't see what I see then let me
know what you are seeing and I'll try to follow.

Open up the overall Works Program, which displays icons across the top for
Home, Templates, Programs, Projects, History.

Click templates. A list of template categories is displayed on the left,
with a number of templates in the selected category in the pane on the
right.

Choose category Letters and Labels. In the right-hand pane, choose
Mail-merge documents (the"return Address labels" template is for printing
sheets of the same label).

Word opens, with a dialog box saying "Select document type for mail merge".

Choose "Mailing labels".then OK

Word displays a dialog showing "Merge from the address book" and "Merge
information from another type of file".

Choose "Merge information from another type of file"

In "Open Data Source" locate, select and open your .wdb file.

Word displays a message telling you to click Setup in Step 1 in the next
dialog box, and various additional instructions. Make notes!

Click Setup in Step 1, choose the printer and label type ("Avery standard"
are U.S. paper sizes - you may need that, or Avery A4 and A5 sizes. If your
label type isn't listed then you'll have to click New Label to set up the
layout. Click OK.

You should not need to do anything in step 2. You may notice that the Data
source is not the .wdb you specified, but a .mdb. This is a temporary file
that will contain a copy of the records in your .wdb

If you need to set a sort order or filter out any records in your .wdb,
clcik the Query Options button in step 3 and define your sequence/filters.

Click Close in the Mail Merge Helper dialog.

You should see a document layout with "labels". All except the first should
just say "Next Record You may also see a Mail Merge toolbar. If you do
not, use Tools|Customize to enable it.

You can use the 5th button on that toolbar to enter fields from your .wdb
into the first label of the sheet, then use Word formatting facilities to
lay the label out (I imagine this could be a steep learning curve if you are
unfamiliar with Word). Then locate and click the "Propagate labels" button -
I think it is the 9th on the Mailmerge toolbar - to copy your layout to the
other labels.

Then click either the "merge to printer" or "merge to document" icon near
the right-hand end of the mailmerge toolbar. At first, I would merge to a
new document, then print a few pages of the new document on plain paper if
possible and check that the layout is what you need before printing to real
label stick.

Then either print the document onto labels (doing it in small batches at a
time might make sense the first time around) or merge directly to your label
printer.

That's the best I can do for now...

Peter Jamieson

"robbieschulte" wrote in message

Thank you Peter for your prompt reply and guidance. I have had no luck
in installing the program onto new laptop, starts to install but then
stops.
Yes, it could be that I do not fully understand the procedures for
using the new Works program, installed as purchased.
My original program opened up a label setup page (single labels,from
database) or multi label from input, using Avert template pages. It
then open a selected wdb database file and allowed selection of entries
required to be printed creating a temp file of selection made.
In the new Works program I can open the wdb database, and select
required entries but then cannot proceed to opening a label selection
and setup page.
I am sorry about using this forum instead of a Works Forum (which I did
not find) but followed mailmerge, as this is part of what I am trying to
do. Thanks for your help so far and if you cannot help anymore I will
try to find a Works Forum.
Regards Robert Schulte

--
robbieschulte