Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Dallas64 Dallas64 is offline

Default Running Cross References in Headers - Like a Dictionary

I am using MS Word 2003, SP1, and am creating an instruction book, with a
numbered outline. I would like to put into the header or footer both the
title of the document (easy), and a reference to what step I am on (not
easy). I know that I can use chapter numbers in the page reference of the
header/footer if I insert section breaks. But this is a work in progress,
and would required lots of changes to section breaks if I did that.

Is there a way to put in a cross reference or some other link that will
reprint into my header/footerthe first line of my outline list that appears
on the page; then when page breaks change, the cross reference will
automatically update. This would be just like in a dictionary, where the
first and last word listed on the page appear at the top to assist in quickly
finding the entry you want.