Oliver Walter

Default Can't remove shading

I've searched via Google Groups and can't find the answer to this.
Can you help?

I'm editing a document created by somebody else (to whom I don't
have access at present). Some the footnotes contain text with yellow
shading (around normal black text) that I can't get rid of.
The "What's this?" shows nothing special in paragraph formatting.
Tracking of changes is off (and in any case that doesn't use
yellow).
The text is not in a table.
I can select it, then FormatBorders and Shading, and set shading to
"nofill" and that makes no difference.
I re-applied the style "Footnote text" to one of them and that did
remove the shading. But it doesn't work on others!
If I copy a word from a yellow footnote and paste it into the main
text, it carries its yellow with it and I can't get rid of it there
either.
I've just found another solution, after typing the above: select the
text, change its style to Normal (control-shift-n) and then back to
Footnote text.
BUT (a) when I do that, the Style box still shows Footnote text
after making it Normal, and
(b) I'd still like to know what could have been the cause of the
yellow shading.
I've still got a copy of the file in its shaded state, so if you
have a suggestion, I can try it on that.

--
Oliver
("Reply-To:" address will send non-spam to me