Jay Freedman

Rich P wrote:
Is there a macro that will add the file path, date & Page numbering to
footnotes for both Word 2000 and Word 2003 ? Word Perfect has such a
macro and it automatically updates the file path if you move the file.

Hi Rich,

I suspect when you wrote "footnotes" you meant "footers" (the area at the
bottom of each page with repeating information). Word uses fields for those
purposes. Where I show fields below, I'm writing the "field code" within
brackets, which is what you see when you press Alt+F9; press the same
combination again to toggle the codes off and display the field results.

When you open the pane with View Header and Footer, you'll see the
Header/Footer toolbar. The button at the left end has a dropdown list of
AutoText entries; most of them are text and/or fields that are useful in
headers & footers. You can get similar results by using the Insert Field
dialog.

Some useful AutoText names and the corresponding text and fields a

Filename and path
{FILENAME \p}
Created on
Created on {CREATEDATE \@ "M/d/yyyy h:mm:ss am/pm"}
Page X of Y
Page {PAGE} of {NUMPAGES}

If you want something slightly different, you can modify these entries, or
record your own AutoText.

For just a plain page number, click the # button on the toolbar, which
inserts a {PAGE} field.

The Filename field in recent Word versions doesn't update automatically,
even if you rename the document with File Save As and then reopen the
document. You have to click the field and press F9 to update it, or go to
File Print Preview and back.

A last word: rather than adding these things individually to each document
you write, create a template that contains the footer text and fields you
want for that kind of document. Then use File New and select the template
to make a new document. The footer will appear in the document
automatically.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman