Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
NevadaBlue NevadaBlue is offline

Default Locking Shapes to Pictures in Word 2007

Here is how I deal with that:

1. import picture into PowerPoint
2. add shapes, comments, etc.
3. highlight all components you want to be in the image
4. right click
5. select Save as picture
6. Name it, save
7. Import the new picture file into Word

A few steps, but I found that it was easier for me to manage these images in
PowerPoint, rather than deal with "babysitting" them through every change in
MS Word.

"holman" wrote:

Word 2007 problem over previous versions:

I cut and paste a picture into a document (map, aerial, etc. in JPG) then
place arrows, text boxes, lines, highlight marks and other stuff to show what
I want the reader to look at.

If the picture is moved on the page or elsewhere, the various customizations
I make remain in place on the page the picture was inserted.

How do I associate, or lock, the changes/additions to the picture?

In previous versions, the pic could be called up in a separate program,
changed and closed out and the changes to the pic would remain with the pic.
Now, adding shapes from the Insert tab allows them to float away from the
underlying inserted picture, if moved.

If I need to first save the jpg in a separate file, then bring it up in a
software program that allows me to manipulate/add shapes, then save it, then
insert the modified pic . . . its a step back from previous MS Word versions.

Nonplussed in Dallas, Texas