Correction: ^& does work with wildcards (for some reason the Special terms
are not listed alphabetically, so I saw "Find What Expression" and assumed
it replaced "Find What Text."

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
If you already know how to find the text, then the rest is simple:

1. In the "Replace with" box, type ^$ (which represents the text Word
found).*

2. Click on Format, then Font or Style and choose the desired formatting.
There are some shortcuts to formatting: if you want to underline the text,
you can just press Ctrl+U instead of Format | Font; similarly, Ctrl+I and
Ctrl+B work the same as in document text.

*If you have really used wildcards (that is, you have "Use wildcards"
checked), then you'll need to use \1 in the "Replace with" box (assuming

you
didn't have your wildcards grouped into more than one string). But you

might
not need wildcards to find the expressions you cite: You could use
"Interrogatory No. ^#:" to search for single-digit numbers, adding another
^# for double digits.

so
all may benefit.

"Joe McGuire" wrote in message
I am looking for a nice way to, in effect, find strings of text in a

lengthy
Word document and modify them, such as Underlining, or even apply a

style,
even a character style, which obviously would leave me free to change

even
that formatting later on with ease. I don't actually want to replace

the
text. The catch is that the strings, each of which is at the beginning

of
paragraph, end with a number immediately preceding a colon. For example
"Interrogatory No. 5:", "Interrogatory No. 6:" and so on. There are 3
variations on those strings, the first being the one above, the second

being
Request to Admit No. n: " and the other "Request to Produce No. n:",

with
representing the sequential numbering of these items.

Is there a way to do this with Find and Replace? I figured out how to

find
the strings using wildcards, but I can't figure how to replace with with

the
same text (or just keep the text) but with new formatting or a character
style. Instead I am getting "Interrogatory*" literally.

(Of course, we did not create this document)