Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Benjamino5 Benjamino5 is offline

Default Word 2000 mystery: page layout discrepancy between computers

Suzanne,

Thankfully, we're all on the same version of Windows (Win 2K SP4). But there
are many different printers here, so that looks increasingly like the culprit.

I see what you mean about reflow, but I work for a publisher--we're actually
going to publish these Word files--so manual page breaks are often necessary.

(In case anyone's curious, we don't generally use real page layout software
like Quark or InDesign for the workbooks that go along with textbooks.
Instead, we make heavily-formatted Word files and then turn them into PDFs
which are sent straight to the printer (traditional off-set printing, nothing
fancy).

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If the different computers are running different versions of Word, there's a
good chance they also have different versions of Windows, and this makes it
very likely that the printer drivers (for the same printer) are also
different, which can also make a difference in the metrics. Your best bet is
usually to avoid manual page breaks and set up your formatting so that
changes in line and page breaks won't cause problems in the document; see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/TextReflow.htm

"Benjamino5" wrote in message
Jezebel,

Thank you! This is the second time in the course of a few days that you've
helped me--I really appreciate it.

I'll look into the font versions tomorrow (when I have access to the other
computers).

As for the printer driver possibility, if I change the default printer,
close Word, and reopen it, will I see the effects (if any)? I suppose I
should also muck around in the driver settings to see if the printer is

set
to download fonts or use its own, as you said.

I'll post again tomorrow with what I find out.