Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Default Did You EVER Find a Fix for This?

There is definitely an error in this area. What happens in some cases is
this:
a. you open the Word document
b. Word cannot find the data source, so it prompts you (find it, or remove
the data source)
c. you find the data source.
d. you probably save the mail merge main document to try to save the new
daa source location.

Unfortunately, (d) does not always work as you would expect, Word seems to
retain the original daa source information and to treat the new data source
as "temporary".

One way tosave the document with the correect data source is to detach it
from its data source, e.g. using the mail merge toolbar in Word 2007 to
select the mail merge document type "Normal Word Document" - in 2007, it's
in one of the dropdowns in the Mailings tab. Then reconnect. You will lose
sorts and filters, and you have obviously lost the document type, but you do
not lose the field codes. Set up the data source how you want it, then save
the mail merge main document. Awkward, but I believe it works. (You can also
use VBA Activedocument.mailMerge.DataSource.Close in Word 2003/2007 to
achieve a similar effect without losing the document type).

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"Doug Pruiett" wrote in message
I am having the same problem with both Word 2003 and Word 2007. It drives
me crazy, as I am trying to give our folks in the field instructions on how
to use mail merge and they get varying junkie results, including for the
most part the problem you reported.

I connect to a data source and then the next time I open the Word document
it either cannot find the data source or asks me to find the data source.
When I do find the source I return to the "Find" prompt again and again!!!

DID YOU EVER FIND A FIX?? Thanks for the help.