Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Klaus Linke Klaus Linke is offline

Default Adding break characters to Word

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
I remembered that Word doesn't insert the actual "zero width space," but I
can never remember the Unicode numbers for these things, much less the
rationale of them. I figured you'd come along behind me and clean up the
mess. g

There wasn't anything wrong with what you wrote.

I'm no expert, just trying to guess how things should be from the Unicode
documentation I quoted :-)

But now that I read the distinction, I'm wondering, in the case of a URL,
wouldn't you want the space NOT to be considered a word boundary--that is,
the entire URL is a single word?

From what I understand, a word boundary (in the Unicode Standard) is pretty
much by definition a place where you can have a line break.
It is something notoriously ambiguous though. Even inside Word, for example,
VBA has a one idea of what a "word" is, "Tools Word count" has another
(arriving at a different word count for the same text).

Klaus