Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
lettermail lettermail is offline

Default Is there an option to print / not print headers and footers?

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
There is no simple setting, no. You can do this with a macro or styles
depending on the contents of the letterhead. If the letterhead is text only,
then you need to color the text white (not hidden because then it won't take
up space) for printing. You can do this by changing the definition of the
paragraph style(s) used in the letterhead. If you have more than one style
or have used direct font formatting, you might find it more satisfactory to
define a character style to overlay the entire text. In any case, your
macros will toggle the text color between Auto and White.

If the letterhead includes graphics, then you make them "white" by setting
the brightness to 100%.

Ugh... that is very unfortunate. We cannot use macros.

The letterhead/footer would have to be an image.

What we really need is the option to print it both ways. With and
without graphics... and we do not want multiple copies (I.e.: no cut
and paste into a second document).

So we could create a show style (0% white) and have to apply it to a
graphic for it to print and then a hide style (as you have mentioned
100% white). It might just be faster to delete the image

back to the drawing board.

thank you,
jg