Penny Anderson

In wordperfect I'm not able to get spell check to work which is a pain. It
use to work no problems at all, now I can't get the spell check to work. I
read in this forum about lookiing at a Normal.dot. I do not know what that
is. Could someone helpe me? Thanks

"IainH" wrote:

Suzanne...you are a God-send :-))

Looking at my Normal.dot I not only found you could set a language and so
spell-check option against a style, but that my Normal style was
(mysteriously) set to not spell-check. Now quite how it got to be like that
is another matter. I didn't even know the option existed but obviously Word
took exception to me not liking it's default Normal style ;-)

Also oddly my Normal.dot contains two 'extra' styles:

1. Personal Compose Style
2. Personal Reply Style

???? Now where did they come from?? More interestingly they have the 'Do not
spell check' option part selected, i.e. grey ticked, which is what I find in
docs I create...so hopefully zapping them may cure my ills...unless of course
Word gets even more upset with me for not only liking is default style setup
but also zapping things it thinks should be there. It may be a perfect
solution...or a perfect hell if Word retaliates :-))

Thx.../Iain

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Pasting text from the Web or another document can cause this. Form fields
are also formatted as "(no proofing)" by default, I believe. And I have had
a case where one of my styles mysteriously became formatted as "Do not check
spelling or grammar" in a particular document although it was not so
formatted in the template. As Office MVP Bob Buckland has famously said,
"Word rarely misses an opportunity to perplex."

"IainH" wrote in message
I keep finding that Word 'thinks it knows better' and keeps switching off
spell-checking.

If I check in my Normal.dot under Tools:Options:Spelling & Grammar both
spelling and grammar checks are ENabled.

If I check in my Normal.dot under Tools:Language:Set Language... the 'Do

not
check spelling or grammar' option is DISabled. The language is set as

English
UK with both UK and US dictionaries loaded.

If I then create a new blank document and start typing I find spelling has
miraculously become DISabled, i.e. under Tools:Language:Set Language...

the
'Do not check spelling or grammar' option has suddenly bencome ENabled!

If I then select all (Ctrl+A) and go back to Tools:Language:Set

Language...
and uncheck the 'Do not check spelling or grammar' option and 'OK' and

then
go straight back in to recheck, I find the 'Do not check spelling or

grammar'
option partially re-ENabled (i.e. grey tick) even though I just DISabled

it!

It's as if Word thinks it knows better and does not want to spell check

and
it becomes a real battle to mark my text for checking.

Anyone any idea what's going on? I find these kind of 'features' ever
increasingly intrusive and very counter -productive. I spent my time

'doing
battle' with Word (and other MS products) trying to make the do as I wish

as
opposed to following some set of unknown rules developed by someone sat in
Sattle thinking they'll add some cool new feature to help me. It would

seem 9
times out of 10 they work against me!

Can someone help me before Word finally does me in!

Thx.../Iain