Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ember Ember is offline

Default Numbered Lists - Restart Numbering

I did that, however it now is changing the indentation of my level 3 (linked
to style Heading 3) to match the indentation of level 4 (linked to style List
Number).

It does nothing to the indentation of level 1 (linked to Heading 1) and
level 2 (linked to Heading 2).

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

As you've noticed, Word 2007 no longer allows you to go via the Modify Style
dialog box when you want to modify outline/multilevel numbering (unless you
are using a list style). However, the general principle remains the same in
Word 2007: numbering should be style-based for stability reasons.

To edit an existing outline-numbered list: Place the insertion point in the
first top-level paragraph of the document (for example, in the first Heading
1 paragraph if this is heading numbering). On the Home tab, click Multilevel
List | Define New Multilevel List. This displays a dialog box similar to the
Customize Outline Numbered dialog box of previous versions (see
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html for a
description of the options).

On the other hand, if you want to create a new outline-numbered list in Word
2007, you should set it up using list styles. On the Home tab, click
Multilevel List, and then click Define New List Style. In the Modify Style
dialog box, type a name for the list style. To define the numbering
properties, click the Format button, and then click Numbering; this displays
the Modify Multilevel List dialog box, where you can change the number
format, indentation, attach paragraph styles to the numbering levels, etc.

The list styles of the active document are displayed under "List Styles" at
Home tab | Multilevel List. You can click a style to apply it to text, but
if you've attached numbering to paragraph styles, you'll find it easier to
apply the appropriate paragraph style directly. To edit a list style,
right-click it and choose Modify from the context menu.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Ember" wrote in message
Thanks, I had read that article (and others at that site) but none made
sense
at the time. They do, at least a little bit, now make sense. Other issue
is
that I am working on Word 2007...different world.

Ember

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

You are welcome.

Indeed, making use of a multilevel (outline) list is the easiest method
restart numbering. (This and two more methods are described at
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/numbering/...artmethods.htm.)

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Ember" wrote in message
Thanks! After I posted this question I did some more searching and
found
steps on how to do this. What threw me was the fact that I am not
creating a
multilevel list (ours is a simple 1., 2., 3.; sometimes with a 1.a.
etc).
did not realize how you can modify "level 1" of a multilist to not be a
number but regular paragraph formatting.

Ember

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

Just make sure to set up your multilevel list with the numbering set
"(none)" for level 1. It can still restart level 2 paragraphs.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Ember" wrote in message
How do I do this:
"The only really reliable way to force this is to define the list
style
bit differently. Don't assign a number to Level 1; start the
numbering
with
Level 2. Set Level 2 to always begin renumbering after a Level 1
paragraph."

Thanks!

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi Helen,

Can someone please help me? I'm wondering why everytime I apply
the
List
Number style, I have to restart the numbering
(right-clickrestart
numbering).

To put it succinctly: that's how it's been designed to work. The
theory
being,
if you're re-using the style, you want to continue the list (by
default).

The only really reliable way to force this is to define the list
style
bit
differently. Don't assign a number to Level 1; start the numbering
with
Level 2.
Set Level 2 to always begin renumbering after a Level 1 paragraph.

Link Level 1 to a paragraph style you know will be used between
each
separate
list.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister (last update Jun 8
2004)
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow
question
or
reply
in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)