Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default breaking passwords on discs containing Word docs

One additional problem that is more than likely is that the disk itself is
hopelessly corrupted and unusable. Magnetic disks do degrade over time.

http://word.mvps.org

"Tony Jollans" My forename at my surname dot com wrote in message
I hesitate to enter a thread full of silly arguments, but if the Word
documents were created, and password-protected by Word, in 1994 they were
obfuscated, using XOR, rather than really encrypted and, although I don't
personally know of any software that can break this, I have no doubt some
is available, and that it is a trivial task for modern PCs. I would imagine
a web search would turn up something helpful.

You may, though, have other problems with such old documents (depending
what version of Word you are currently using).

--
Enjoy,
Tony

www.WordArticles.com

"Water and Trees" wrote in
message ...
In 1994 I prepared documents saving them to 3 1/2" discs. Recently found
the
discs (there's a whole box) and would like to access them. No slot on my
current computer for them, but have a friend whose computer does still
allow
discs. My problem is wanting to by-pass the passwords I set for myself
back
in 1994.

These are basic Word documents and there may be a few WordPerfect
documents
on these discs as well. I just want to get by the passwords and get to
the
documents.

Any suggestions are appreciated!
Thanks,